Friday, June 10, 2016

Why Read the Bible?

Why Read the Bible?


Today as for so many days of my life I started with the Word of God. Not long ago someone asked me, “Why do you read that Bible of yours everyday?” they shouldn’t have asked this gray hair old man that question. I told them that partaking of the Bread of Life was how I feed my soul. The body needs food or it will die; the soul does too (Matthew 4:4). So, for about 20 minutes he had to listen to me rant on its importance.

Because the Word of God is perfect in every way no one has ever proved it to be false and believe me many have tried. The words of the Lord are pure (Psalm 12:6) and true (John 17:17). Therefore when you read it, heed it and live it its reliability goes from a spoken statement to a practical life reality. God Himself inspired 40 plus men in various ways and at various times to write down the everlasting truths of God’s way. This truth teaches Jesus’ followers as it corrects them and trains them in right living (2 Timothy 3:16).

Knowledge is a wonderful thing but far greater is wisdom that is gleaned from Scripture. By God’s Holy Spirit the perfect way of God is revealed to those who feast on the Bible daily. When a person of faith receives input through the reading of the Word the Holy Spirit brings enlightenment as to how a person is to react to the events of any particular day. The wisdom obtained through each day’s study leads them away from sin and towards a deeper revelation of whom Jesus is and what He has and is doing.

As for me I will start every day with a healthy serving of soul food, God’s Holy Word. I pray that you will too.

No comments:

Post a Comment