Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Poured Out,


The other day I found a bottle of water I started drinking several days ago. For some unknown reason my mind thought, “that water is old and worthless, don’t drink it.” So I poured it out. Then the ungodly thought popped into my mind, “You are like that water, you are old and worthless.” But by God’s Spirit He reminded me that a life lived in faithful service to Him is an offering of great value. 

1 Chronicles 11:16-19, tells a story of three of David’s mighty men. One day David said, “If only someone would bring me water to drink from the well at the city gate of Bethlehem!” So the three mighty men crossed enemy lines and went and got water from that well at the risk of their own lives and brought it to David. When he received the water he poured it out on the ground. What was he thinking? What an insult to these three. Here they risk their life and David pours the water on the ground. But it’s not what you might think. You see David longed to be back in his hometown drinking from his well with his own city at peace. When these men so heroically served David and brought the water, he considered it too great in value to drink. To him it was fit for a sacrifice to the Lord. In the Old Testament we see where wine was often poured out on the altar before the Lord. Jacob at Bethel on the day the Lord changed his name to Israel did just that. He poured out his offering on the altar. Nothing is wasted when it is poured out to the Lord. Centuries later the apostle Paul wrote of himself: 

• For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time for my departure is close. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. There is reserved for me in the future the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous Judge, will give me on that day, and not only to me, but to all those who have loved His appearing. (2 Timothy 4:6-8) 

A life that is lived for the glory of the Lord is fitting to be poured out before the altar of the Lord as a sacrifice. We may not be perfect as followers of Jesus but we are who we are in Christ. We are consistently trying to obey the Word. As we fail we see the grace of God abound, so we are motivated to try even harder. Soon Jesus Christ will return. Until that day we strive to be faithful and productive in His Kingdom. When the time of our departure draws near we will have the privilege of being poured out as a drink offering. That is not a waste that is an honor. 

No comments:

Post a Comment